Rand-McNally-Co, 1898. String tied wraps. 3.5" x 4.5", [pp.8] map showing stops between Chicago & Minneapolis. 7 photographs. Light dust soil to covers, top corner lightly bumped. -- Condition. Very good. Item #10618
"The Pioneer Limited name first appeared in 1898, chosen in a public contest. It was among the nation's first named trains and the first named train on the Milwaukee Road. The 1898 train was newly equipped with Barney & Smith sleeping cars, the carriages described in a period brochure as "...a veritable edition de luxe, bound in covers of yellow and gold." The train was re-equipped multiple times in subsequent years, the last wooden cars being replaced by steel ones in 1914. During the train's early years the Pioneer Limited had a number of "firsts": it had the first government railway mail contract in the region, the first sleeping cars on the route, and was the region's first electrically lighted and steam-heated train. the Pioneer Limited was also noted for its dining car service"-wikipedia.